Diablo 4 Switch 2 Leak Locks September 12 Launch With Both Expansions and a $69.99 Code in a Box
By CriticalPixel ·
The Nintendo Switch 2 finally has its first big online action RPG, and it is not a port of a five year old Nintendo exclusive. A fresh leak from Dealabs leaker billbil-kun, picked up by IGN and Eurogamer on August 17, says Blizzard will drop Diablo 4 on Nintendo's new handheld on September 12 for $69.99 in the US, with the full Age of Hatred Collection including both Vessel of Hatred and Lord of Hatred. Pre-orders are scheduled to open the same day, which neatly coincides with the start of BlizzCon 2026 on September 12 and 13. If Blizzard is going to formally unveil the port, the Anaheim stage is the obvious place to do it. Until then, file this one under the rarest category in modern gaming leaks: a launch, a price, a date, and a SKU all in one shot.
What the leak actually says
billbil-kun has a track record on Switch 2 retail leaks that is uncomfortable for Blizzard's marketing team. The earlier August leak only confirmed Diablo 4 was heading to Switch 2 and that it would carry a code in a box rather than a Game Key Card, but did not lock a date. This second wave fills in almost everything. The retail SKU is the Age of Hatred Collection, which bundles the base game with both expansions at full price. The European pricing is $69.99 and 69.99 euros, with a UK tag of 62.99 pounds. A Swiss retailer listing picked up by Fendera on X corroborates the code in a box SKU and floats a September 18 date, which lines up with the third week of September window that the original Dealabs post cited. So the most defensible read is September 12 for digital and pre-orders, with the physical code in a box hitting shelves a week later on the 18. Blizzard has not officially confirmed any of this, and the studio historically waits until the morning of a BlizzCon opening keynote to drop a port like this.
The physical release is where the Switch 2 audience is going to have the strongest reaction. Diablo 4 will not even ship with a Game Key Card, Nintendo's middle tier between a true cartridge and a code in a box. You are paying $69.99 for a printed sleeve with a download code inside and no cartridge at all. That is the same approach Nintendo used for Borderlands 4 and several other third party ports this year, and it continues to frustrate collectors who assumed a Switch 2 box meant Switch 2 media. Nintendo labels these clearly on the back of the box, but the visual language is close enough to a real cartridge that buyers at GameStop are going to feel cheated more than once between now and Christmas. At least the price matches what Blizzard charges for the digital collection on PC and the existing console versions. There is no Switch 2 specific tax here, which is a small mercy in a generation where every port has tried one.
Why Blizzard waited three years
Diablo 4 first shipped on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox in June 2023, so a September 2026 Switch 2 launch is just over three years later. That is a long wait for a game that runs well on a Steam Deck and would obviously benefit from a tablet form factor, but the timing finally makes sense. Blizzard was busy shipping Vessel of Hatred in October 2024 and Lord of Hatred in April 2026, the second big expansion that wraps the Mephisto driven Hatred story arc. Releasing the Switch 2 port as a complete package with both expansions means Blizzard is not asking Switch 2 players to pay $69.99 now and then another $30 later for Lord of Hatred. That is the right call, and it is also the call Nintendo's first party partners almost never make with their own ports. The Diablo 4 Switch 2 release is the most generous third party launch SKU on the platform so far.
There is also a strategic angle underneath the price. Microsoft laid off roughly 1,600 Blizzard and Xbox staff earlier this year and earmarked another 1,600 roles for cuts through summer 2026, even as Diablo 4 quietly became the top performing Xbox first party release by revenue. Eurogamer's coverage of the Switch 2 port explicitly notes that Blizzard has been insulated from the wider Microsoft layoffs because Diablo 4 is carrying the franchise weight that the rest of Xbox Game Studios used to share. Shipping a complete Age of Hatred Collection to a brand new platform in 2026 turns Diablo 4 into a long tail revenue anchor for another full hardware cycle. That is precisely the kind of decision a CFO under cost pressure makes. Blizzard needs this Switch 2 port to perform.
Community reaction is muted but warm
The Switch 2 community is not going wild over the leak, but the reaction is solidly positive. DiabloFilter on X posted that if the September 12 date holds, September is going to be huge for Diablo, while NintendoConnect out of Germany noted that the timing lines up perfectly with Gamescom week and BlizzCon. The IGN tweet carrying the leak cleared 24 reposts and 34 likes in under two hours, which is a respectable but not breakout engagement number for a Switch 2 announcement. The lack of viral reaction is partly because Switch 2 players have been here before, with Borderlands 4 shipping a code in a box at the same price point earlier in August. The bigger community question, judging by the replies under the Eurogamer and IGN posts, is whether Diablo 4 will actually run well on Switch 2 docked and undocked. Blizzard has not shared any resolution or performance details, and Diablo 4 on the lowest PC settings already pushes a Steam Deck harder than most action RPGs. If the Switch 2 build targets 720p at 30 fps undocked and 1080p at 30 fps docked, most players will be happy. If it targets 60 fps anywhere, that is a real technical flex from Blizzard's engine team.
What Critical Pixel is watching
Three things to keep an eye on between now and September 12. First, the official Blizzard announcement, which is almost certainly going to land during the BlizzCon 2026 opening keynote on September 12. If they skip BlizzCon and wait for Tokyo Game Show later in September, the leak will be confirmed quietly through a press release rather than a stage reveal, which would be an unusual choice for a port this large. Second, the price durability question. If Blizzard drops the Switch 2 price by ten dollars before launch to match the existing console sales, that is a sign the company expects Switch 2 players to comparison shop against the existing PS5 and Xbox Series versions. Third, the Game Pass situation. Diablo 4 has been on and off Xbox Game Pass all year, and there is no sign yet whether the Switch 2 version will join. Given that Microsoft now owns Blizzard and Nintendo has no Game Pass equivalent, the Switch 2 SKU almost certainly stays off Game Pass. That keeps the value proposition straightforward: pay $69.99 once, get the complete game, no subscription required.
For Switch 2 owners who skipped Diablo 4 on other platforms, the September 12 window is the cleanest entry point the game has ever had. You get the base campaign, Vessel of Hatred, and Lord of Hatred in a single download, on a device that fits in a backpack, with cross progression against your existing Battle.net account if Blizzard enables it. That is a real upgrade over what PS5 and Xbox Series players got at launch, and it is the kind of late port that justifies picking up a Switch 2 for anyone who treats the device as a portable Sanctorum rather than a living room console. The leak looks solid. Billbil-kun is rarely wrong about Switch 2 retail listings. Hold your pre-order plans until Blizzard confirms the date on stage, but go ahead and start carving out a long weekend for the install.